Sunday, April 8, 2018

Cafe Policy

(Photo courtesy of Google photos)




Policy is policy .... some do not mind to follow a cafe policy and then again, some mind A LOT, even though the policy is very simple.
Running a cafe is a lot of work, and having a cafe policy helps make or break a cafe. 
People come into a cafe and think that they can occupy the cafe space and not purchase anything... others think that it is like a picnic area and do not mind to bring in their own packed or purchased in another location food and eat freely in our cafe without purchasing anything, these actions do not help the cafe survive at all. 
This one afternoon, in particular, was difficult. A young lady entered and purchased a drink and went to a table to sit down, and not long after that a man arrived and sat down at the table with her. I had noticed that he had a huge thermal and a small bag of food had brought in and he sat the food on an empty chair and the thermal on the floor beside his chair. 
Our policy is that we do not allow drinks or meals brought in our cafe from outside and also that the seating inside the cafe is reserved for customers of the cafe. This policy does not have anything to do with a person's race or ethnic background and it is posted for everyone. 
I approached the man and informed him of our cafe's policy and that we can not allow food brought inside the cafe from other establishments, he got upset right away, started arguing with me and telling me to go away and leave him alone so he can work at the table. I proceeded to tell him that he can not have the drink and food inside the cafe and offered him many options such as taking it out himself, or me taking it and leaving it behind the cafe counter, he was still irate with me and refused to accept any options that I gave him so I asked him to leave. He refused to leave and threatened me with dialing 911 on his phone by pushing the numbers in and threatening to press call. He did this three times and finally, I said.. go ahead and call them, go ahead. I was not getting anywhere with this guy so I told him that I will have to go and get the security and have him removed... still giving this man a choice, I told him that if I got the security and he got irate with him the same as he is with me, he will be banned from the whole area for 3 months, is this what you would like for me to do? He confirmed... go ahead. So I went and got the security and he still pushed to stay. I showed him the cafe policy and where on all the walls it was posted and he looked at me and said... come here and read them for me... as if he cannot read English!!! It's there right behind you, I stated. He was not interested in reading anything at this point and started arguing with the security guard. At this point, the security guard asked him to leave and for the fifth time, the man decided to get up and leave. 
REALLY... It takes all this to enforce a policy!! They are not that hard to follow, it is just common sense when coming into an establishment that sells coffee, tea and pastry for you not to bring in something from another location and occupy my space eating.... we can sell it to you and then you can occupy the space all you like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment